Seven years ago we made a life-changing decision to serve in the Peace Corps. We put in our notices at work, ended the lease on our apartment, and sold all of our furniture. We kept our winter clothes and yearbooks in storage with family and headed off to volunteer in Jamaica with the required maximum of two suitcases each.
Living with less was completely liberating. Not only did we have less stuff to keep track of, our weekly schedules in that rural Jamaican community were simplified, too. When we came home from work, we had time to read, journal, practice new recipes… In Jamaica, it was nearly impossible to get more than two real tasks done per day, so we became accustomed to a slower pace of life.
That simpler life was so much less stressful – it was something we vowed to keep in our lives moving forward. And we’re passionate about helping others do the same.
Simple living now plays a huge role in allowing us to travel more. We’ve learned to minimize our expenses, cut down our belongings, and prioritize our activities, which opens up money and time for more travel.
You don’t have to be a “digital nomad” like us and you don’t have to become a hard-core minimalist to do enjoy the benefits of simplicity. Just imagine…
If there was less on your plate, fewer decisions to be made, and less stress about money and relationships, could you be happier, healthier, and feel more at ease?
How would that change your life?
It’s not always easy to keep life simple. In fact, it’s often more challenging than “going with the flow” of our society. You have to be intentional (surprise! our favorite word).
If you know you want to simplify things, it can really help to have some support. That’s why we wanted to make sure you knew about a program we’re really excited about called: A Simple Year.
What is A Simple Year?
A Simple Year was created by one of our favorite bloggers, Courtney Carver of Be More With Less and founder of my favorite capsule wardrobe guide (which I’ve used to pack for our current year of travel). Here’s her description of why she created this program:
“I was surprised to learn that North Americans consume twice as many material goods today as we did 50 years ago. That means we have to spend more energy cleaning, managing, and organizing all our stuff – not to mention tracking things down that get lost in the clutter. We’re also more likely to carry a burden of debt from all our spending.
Our schedules are jam-packed, too. Most of us have filled our days full from beginning to end with time commitments. And we’re so exhausted that any free time we do have is spent staring at screens.
If only we could focus more on what truly matters in life!
Simplifying our stuff and our schedules is not easy. But intentional work likes this opens doors to a more fulfilling life. If you’re thinking about dedicating 2018 to reducing your stress, creating healthy habits, and unlocking the freedom to do more of what you’re passionate about, then A Simple Year may be just what you need to make lasting change.”
Courtney designed a year of guidance through an online course to help you simplify your life gently and with purpose. Each month has a theme, like Clutter, Busyness, Travel, Self-Care, Money, and Relationships – each led by a different expert.
How A Simple Year works:
- Online lessons are released each month, each with a new theme like Money, Busyness, and Clutter
- Tune in to live monthly webinars with expert coaches (or watch the recordings later)
Join the optional Private Facebook Group to get support and connect with a like-minded community
- Try out optional homework assignments (with surprise bonuses when you finish)
- Includes life-time access to the lessons
- What if I try it and don’t like it? If within 30 days, you decide A Simple Year isn’t right for you, they’ll send a full refund, no questions asked.
Some of the highlights you’ll get over the 12 months include:
- Comprehensive guidelines on how to tackle the clutter – day by day, room by room – in a way that won’t overwhelm or confuse you
- A slow-down guide for the chronically busy
- How to declutter your digital world
- The secret to a clutter-free kitchen
- How to recalibrate your life to focus on passions like travel
- Daily habits to minimize distractions and get more done
- A mindful budgeting blueprint to save money and invest wisely
- How to create a self-care habit that actually sticks
- Establishing boundaries for work, technology, and life to protect what’s most precious
- A guide to making the best food choices for your body
- Gift-giving 101 – how to give more and spend less
- How to reframe disappointment, anger and frustration into thoughts and actions that actually benefit your life
If you’re interested in learning more, check out Courtney’s Q&A webinar (sign up to get the recording by e-mail).
Or to read more about the program and/or sign up, head over to the Simple Year registration page now (affiliate link).
Cheers to a healthier, happier, simpler 2018!